William,

Actually, most of the ideas you mention are useful for and being used
in over-the-phone systems, which I've worked in for almost too long.
Part of the problem you, I, and others face in using these systems is
the highly imperfect applications of expertise to the design issues.
GUI designers who don't understand the linguistics involved, speech
engineers and linguists who don't understand design, etc.

But, foregoing the rant, rest assured that synonyms are heavily used
and in the best systems are driven by the data of actual usage.  And
that just-in-time contextual tips are a hallmark of good voice
design.

As you point out, if the system is called infrequently, the
individual user might not directly benefit, but later callers can.

Phillip