I would say that you don't need research to support your view.
Shouldn't common sense be sufficient?

I've observed a usability test with 8 participants. None of them
made a typo in the first email field, but two participants made a
mistake in the second (confirmation) field. And yes, you're not the
only one using copy/paste.

In this particular case we removed the second field and added a piece
of text in the line of: 'please double check the email address
entered, we need it to contact you'.

Not backed by research, but when users are asked to enter their
details twice, they must get the impression that they are considered
to be not smart enough to type their own email address.

A second confirmation field only makes sense in case of a password
field, where the characters typed are not visible.

- Yohan