Just to clarify, and I know I wasn't clear first time around so: my
apologies.

The reason for retaining discontinued or superseded products is that a
returning customer - who's initiated product research, but hasn't yet made a
purchase - will be frustrated by the disappearance of the product if it
isn't explained. The product can also act as a gateway to other support
materials about the product - how to get the product serviced; access to
instruction manuals; other downloads; accessories - and as such can be a
useful navigational device to keep around.

However, you want the product's status to be clearly indicated as
discontinued or superseded so that customers are aware of their options in
relation to purchasing the product.

Regards
Steve

--
Steve 'Doc' Baty | Principal | Meld Consulting | P: +61 417 061 292 | E:
steveb...@meld.com.au | Twitter: docbaty | Skype: steve_baty | LinkedIn:

Director, IxDA - ixda.org
Editor: Johnny Holland - johnnyholland.org
Contributor: UXMatters - www.uxmatters.com
UX Australia: 26-28 August, http://uxaustralia.com.au
UX Book Club: http://uxbookclub.org/ - Read, discuss, connect.
Blog: http://meld.com.au/blog