Hey, just wanted to put in my 2 cents...

A person who can straddle the fence equally is the exception.  We're
talking about expert knowledge in both, right?  To expect this as the
norm seems unreasonable.

Personally, I think I've done a pretty good job at keeping up with
my front-end coding and visual design skills to stay serviceable, but
to expect that products can be built around my code?  No way.  And to
think my design will be highly compelling to draw users in?  I dream,
but I know my limitations.  My company doesn't depend on me for those
things.

Right now I'm great at thinking about the interactions and creating
the flows, wires, and specs to support them.  That doesn't mean I
can't do the others, just that this is my primary role and skill.

In the end, something will suffer and that's not just limited to
your professional skills.  Everything requires time and there's only
so much of it.  Seems pretty obvious to me.