This may be obvious, but you should read the Windows 7 Touch design
guidelines (and the rest of the Win7 UI guidelines) if you haven't
already.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc872774.aspx

It covers several of your questions, and I'd be reluctant to go
against any of these. It sounds like you're designing a custom
interface over top of Win7 and I wonder if that's really necessary.
If so, I would still stick to the Windows conventions by keeping the
standard controls and being consistent with placement of the recycle
bin, etc.

Kevin Arthur
http://www.touchusability.com