RSVP: http://tinyurl.com/nyc-ixda-june

IxDA NYC invites you to our June 2009 event:
Design Strategy: Building Concentric Circles of Connection
A discussion and working session with ROGER MADER and JAKE SAMUELSON

Please join us for the following discussion and working session to apply a
tiered strategy to your interaction design challenges in a variety of
applications. Noble Desktop will be raffling off a free, 3-day computer
graphics training class!

————————
Interaction is connection. But what if you can’t connect? How do you design
an interaction for someone who can neither see these words, nor hear you
speak them?

In 1887, that was the challenge confronted by Anne Sullivan as she attempted
to connect a seven year old Helen Keller to a world she could only feel,
only smell. The brilliant connection made – feeling water on one palm while
receiving the symbols for it on the other, has been dramatized as an act of
seeming desperation. It was anything but – and produced a monumental
breakthrough – a complex interaction combining two sensory experiences to
construct a new language.

To the countless beneficiaries of this historic interaction, design strategy
may seem secondary. But an examination of Sullivan’s disciplined methods
indicates that a thoughtful design strategy informed – possibly even
inspired – this iconic event.

Effective interaction design calls on a complex web of expertise and
insights – from cognitive psychology to interface mapping, from the arcana
of academia to the practical experience we all bring from the joys and
frustrations of our everyday interactions. Examining extreme users, such as
Helen Keller, adds to our design insights. But how often do we get to step
back and ask “why”? What am I really trying to achieve with this
interaction? Is this the best form of interaction for my user – or is it
just the best compromise in a series of trade-offs? If I was given a blank
slate – is this the design I would recommend?

The biggest challenge then, is to challenge ourselves. This session will
discuss ways to relentlessly question our goals, as we march down a logical
hierarchy from the overall design strategy. Or, just as relevant, we can
climb back up the ladder from the interaction to the overarching objective.
And all too often, we discover that the strategic objective went unstated,
the user was never fully understood, and the broader constituency was never
considered.

One way to visualize this process is to consider the “rings of inference”
used to translate design strategy into tiered design decisions, tying
overall strategy to interaction design. This session will help you to
consider the design process from the bottom up (when you’re already at the
stage of interaction design), or top-down – posing a cascading series of
design questions: what is the social or commercial objective? Who are the
beneficiaries beyond the end user? What is each audience’s unmet need? What
action string is required to fulfill that need? How can that string be made
better, faster, cheaper, more intuitive? And ultimately, what form of
interaction best serves that function? Participants will be encouraged to
share a current design challenge, and work together to craft a design
strategy that coherently serves the interaction objectives.

The event is free of charge and open to all interested parties. However, for
security reasons, only those on the guest list will be admitted. Please
bring photo ID.

WHEN
Thursday, June 18, 2009
6:30 – 7:00pm Networking and light refreshments, provided by Noble Desktop
7:00 – 8:00pm Presentation
8:00 – 8:30pm Networking and Conversation

WHERE
Google
76 Ninth Ave (entrance at 16th street)
New York, NY 10011
http://www.google.com

Map: http://tinyurl.com/qn32yd
Subway: A, C, E or L to 8th Ave and 14th St.

RSVP: http://tinyurl.com/nyc-ixda-june

See you there!
The IxDA NYC local leaders

————————

ABOUT OUR SPEAKERS: Roger Mader & Jake Samuelson
Roger Mader
A global account executive for Doblin, in the innovation practice of The
Monitor Group, Roger and his design teams work with companies, particularly
in Financial Services and Life Sciences, to discover emerging and unmet
needs, craft design strategies and conceive new businesses to capture growth
ahead of the market.

Roger has designed innovation strategies for a global bank, and a global
pharma company, and the growth strategy for a Big Four accounting firm. He
served as an advisor to the advisory and investment firm founded by former
New York City mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani. In 1992 Roger co-founded VIA
International,
a global consultancy based in London, setting channel and change strategies
to transform some of the world’s best-known companies. He launched his
career as an original member of Accenture’s Change Management practice,
specializing in design for advanced media, where he worked extensively for
IBM. With co-author, Jeffrey P. Semenchuk, Roger published “From Production
to Connection: The New Model for Market Organization“. He holds degrees in
Economics and Political Science from Northwestern University. When time and
weather permit, Roger and his two young sons return to the Atlantic shores
of Nova Scotia.
roger.ma...@doblin.com
www.doblin.com

Jake Samuelson
A consultant in Monitor’s New York office, Jake Samuelson advises clients in
publishing, media, CPG, professional services, pharmaceuticals,
manufacturing, and energy. His convergence of marketing and technology
strategy helps clients employ collaborative technology and new media to
build brands, increase ROI on marketing spend, create ideal customer
experiences, and improve organizational efficiency. His recent work involves
long-term scenario planning for corporate and government clients, and
strategy for innovative nonprofits in the emerging social investing field.
Leveraging new media work and many years working in the nonprofit sector,
Jake’s current interests lie in helping organizations leverage “social media
for social change.”

Jake tries to hide his inner geek, despite hosting a blog entitled:
http://www.mygeekyside.com/. He holds a BA with honors in Economics from
Harvard University. When not skateboarding and biking the five boroughs,
Jake is often caught developing his travel start-up.
jacob_samuel...@monitor.com
www.monitor.com

ABOUT OUR CONTRIBUTOR: Noble Desktop
Noble Desktop provides exceptional computer graphics training in web design,
print design, and video editing. They teach Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks,
InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro classes on a rolling
basis in Soho. They also give numerous free seminars on topics such as
“Moving From Print to Web” and “How to Send HTML Email.” Noble Desktop was
recently named the 4th highest-rated Adobe Certified Training Center in the
world, based on student evaluations. Visit their website at
http://www.nobledesktop.com

ABOUT OUR SPONSOR: Google
Named for the mathematical term “googol,” Google operates web sites at many
international domains, with the most trafficked being www.google.com. Google
is widely recognized as the “world’s best search engine” because it is fast,
accurate and easy to use. The company also serves corporate clients,
including advertisers, content publishers and site managers with
cost-effective advertising and a wide range of revenue generating search
services. Google’s breakthrough technology and continued innovation serve
the company’s mission of “organizing the world’s information and making it
universally accessible and useful.”