This is my first post, since I have been an avid reader of ALL the
advices and comments from intellectual people over here. But a small
question popped in my mind when I came across a website that was
redesigned and I was completely lost. Pardon me if this query has
been answered before.

It's an employee intranet portal which had been operational for
around a decade. The UI wasn't changed one bit in all this time.
Later the organization decided it was time to move on and did the
best they could with the UI design. For a few weeks the new
(completely overhauled) design lived beside its older cousin and the
users had the choice to peek in while still continuing in the old
mode. One day they launched the new avatar.

Now this overhauled UI has a new information architecture - complex
if one is accustomed working in the order scheme of things. Links
that were easily spotted previously had been moved around and/or
hidden under heaps of fancy labels. When I went looking for one
frequently visited section, it took me a good 10 minutes to find it!!
That's unacceptable and a waste of employee time.

My question is, how does one accomplish the difficult task of
introducing a new design? how does the organization shift seamlessly
from the older version UI to the new one without any surprises for
the user? how can the user begin using a new system starting from
where he left it earlier? Thanks in advance for all your help.