The reason Apple got so many people excited is that they designed MORE THAN
JUST A DEVICE. From end to end, they've created an ecosystem: Phone platform
software, easy data management with a built-in store, and most importantly
for the latest wave: great developer tools. People who are already OSX
developers can dive in and make iPhone apps. And Apple has made their
platform platform easy (and pleasing!) for people to pick up and be able to
kick out satisfying, pleasing apps in a matter of days. The stuff you get
for free (e.g. transition animations) rewards you for the effort you put
into building the app. Can't really say that for Android. You couldn't say
that about Palm OS back in the day, either. Maybe the story is different
today. My eyes and ears are still open. But I don't see anyone showing off
their Pre apps yet.

And background processes are a red herring. What compelling functionality
does it enable? Location logging? Notifications when I receive an IM? You
can achieve these without battery-draining background processing.

For Palm to be successful with the Pre device, it needs to blow the doors
off of the story OUTSIDE of the device, making the information management
and app development goals pleasing, too. No amount of background processing
is going to help me as a developer if I find myself frustrated with the
learning curve of the new platform.

Oh, and it could probably do with a better keyboard ...

- Nasir