Just a small update.  Another IxDA'er (Phil) sent me a link that offered up
additional information.  Using the tel: scheme, you can force a link to
register as a phone number.

The solution to include the "tel:" scheme is good for mobile-only sites.
 Nowever, if your site is dual-use, this scheme still appears as a link on
the site - although most (if not all) browsers don't know what to do with it
(I guess that if you use Skype or similar, there might be changes made
to accommodate, but I'm not sure).

Still, it's an option to explore further to see if there's a solution that
can handle both screen and mobile situations.

Marty
Director, UX
Digitas Health