Hi,

I think you intuition on this is totally spot on. If you want to try
to convince your clients to go with the "soothing" solution, I
would recommend putting two mockups in front of a few people. One
scary one and one not, and get their reactions to it on video. Then
show the video to your clients, and I am pretty sure they will be
convinced in no time :) The video helps because its not YOU telling
them what they should do, but rather reactions of real potential
customers.

Good luck!
Alla