From: discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com
[mailto:discuss-boun...@lists.interactiondesigners.com] On Behalf Of Vishal
Iyer
Sent: Monday, July 27, 2009 9:17 AM
To: disc...@ixda.org
Subject: [IxDA Discuss] Types of Faceted Search

There seems to be two major methods of faceted search
design- for the sake of my own vocabulary- I call them 'static' and
'dynamic'
(I suppose there would be some formal terminology, but I couldn't find any).
The Static model (Eg: Search for laptops in Yahoo Shopping-
http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AitSGJz_qz4V.Woy9WLIzSQbFt0A?p=laptop&;
did=)
typically involves clicking through one facet element at a time (multiple
select being present occasionally) causing the search results to filter
accordingly

The Dynamic model (Eg: Flights in Kayak- http://www.kayak.com/r/K0nJrU)
enables the user to quickly navigate different options to find the needed
product/ service.

In my mind, the dynamic model is a much better user experience because it
allows for faster  modification of facets. But there seems to be a dichotomy
of implementation based on the product category. Travel products generally
use the dynamic model, while Shopping uses static. The obvious difference
between the two is in the temporal nature of the data involved. Travel data
is transient. Shopping, not as much- the static model hence allows the
creation of 'pages' for significant facet elements.

I can however see the dynamic model being tweaked in such a way that it
supports data with a longer shelf life and hence SEO friendly etc. If that
is indeed the case, is there any other reason to use the static model? Am I
missing something here?

-Vishal