Hi Audrey,

First, I just want to be sure I'm clear about what you're talking
about. Are you referring to filters similar to those in the following
examples?

John Lewis (Left hand filter/sub nav)
http://www.johnlewis.com/Technology/Televisions/Televisions/SubCategory.aspx

Tiso (Right hand filter/sub nav/tagged breadcrumb)
http://www.tiso.com/shop/clothing/mens/berghaus/

Second, are you saying that in the user research you have carried
out, novice/lightweight internet users find it difficult to
understand these methods of interaction?

Third, with regard to your car filters examples, surely it would be
better for the majority of users to have the key filters
listed/opened/indicated as primary filters so that the site benefits
the majority of users.

At the first step, it's not important to disclose all
options/filters in one go. It's probably better to have "sensible
default" filters to let people dive in, while supporting power users
with additional and deeper filters later in the process.

A faceted search lets you navigate through tags or attributes of a
product. That's a pretty powerful way to navigate through a data
set. Supporting the UI through good copy writing and labelling should
help the users. Terms like "Refine your search" or your "Choose
Your New Car" example are good.

While, I understand you have problems with filtering (that is if I am
properly understanding your original point!), I'm not sure seeking an
alternative to faceted search is the best route to take.

Faceted search/navigation/browsing works for many very successful
ecommerce sites. If it was broken, they wouldn't use it.

Finally, a good visual design will address your issues of affordance
and clarity.