Great example, Eric! (not just about defaults, but resetting defaults...almost evil)

Here's another interesting tidbit concerning influence, care of Steve Jobs of Apple.

"It’s not about pop culture, and it’s not about fooling people, and it’s not about convincing people that they want something they don’t. We figure out what we want. And I think we’re pretty good at having the right discipline to think through whether a lot of other people are going to want it, too. That’s what we get paid to do."

I wrote up a bit more here:

http://bokardo.com/archives/steve-jobs-on-why-apple-doesnt-do-market-research/

Josh