I'm not sure if this pertains to the type of list you are creating,
but I have read a bunch of research regarding the ability of users to
find an entry in a given list.  The general consensus seems to be that
if the list has more than 7 plus or minus 2 (miller's magic number of
items able to be retained in working memory) items, it is better to
use breadth vs. depth.  So put things into categories and hopefully
every expanded section has around 7 items all together.  Users have
been shown to find a target item the fastest with this method opposed
to one long list.