Josh is spot on. One of the most important reasons I think FB uses the
frames is to reduce "bounce rate" and increase visitor loyalty. This
is an old technique that has been used since...I would say the "very
beginning".

The code could look like anything (javascript most likely, but I've
done it in C#, VB and JS). The page itself examines the url from the
query string parameter that was passed to it from another page (i.e.
you wall) and then it sets the bottom iframe's url to that
parameter. Obviously this is the simplest example.

-Jake