There are a number of reasons, actually, and I think attributing them
to "some designers" is a bit on the flawed side.

"Click here" resolves to Adobe as the most popular search result in
Google, btw:

http://www.google.com/search?q=click
here&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS311US311

But, back on topic.  The problem that this causes, ultimately, is a
rather bad SEO problem.  Good, descriptive links help keep that link
"juice" internal to your site, as opposed to say, throwing more at
Adobe's Reader (or today's #3 "clickhere.com").

The other issue, however, is that often content is the last thing to
be considered in a website--and I think we've all been there.  So, a
designer, who perhaps doesn't have much context for the content and
is using a lot of FPO copy, does something fairly logical by labeling
the calls to action on the page with "click here to...".  When
copywriting comes around, it's often not written by folks who have
written for the web and text link calls to action get little or not
consideration.

Your experience, of course, may vary.

--Russ