What's going on? I may be dumb, but the best usability test subjects
are. Is the interaction design of this forum an experiment?
I posted a reply to William. It's gone. I received a reply in my
mail-box I cannot see in the thread???
Sorry, it just blows my mind to see something like that in a forum
like this!

As I hope you have already guessed, I'm trying to provoke a
reaction.
No doubt that these two disciplines are each relevant in their own
right. But they have much more in common than usability people (I use
the term very broadly) tend to acknoledge. And the discipline of
usability being so young, it would bebenefit greatly by looking more
closely at some of the language/communication theory classics. No
reason to invent the wheel all over again.

Paul, Just like usability (again very broadly defined) language
theory have been assisted and developed by all kinds of disciplines
dealing with the human being (mind and body).

You will of course need to fit it to your branch of communication,
but I can recommend Grice's co-operative principle and four maxims
to introduce some very basic, but important understandings of
pragmatics, and Sperber and Wilson "Relevance" (the later got me an
"A" in the usability exam at Copenhagen IT University - my only
formal usability credentials).

- Grice, Paul H 1967: Logic and Conversation. i Cole & Morgan 1975
- Sperber, Dan & Wilson, Deidre 2. udgave 1995: Relevance -
Communication and Cognition. Blackwell Publishers, Oxford