Depending on the app, lightening the bg could be akin to greying-out the controls. For me, the lightbox, or darkening of the bg indicates an important change. I hate using it for modal pop-overs (I hate modal pop-overs anyway), but I LOVE to use it for videos, images etc. - the purpose of the lightbox anyway. One of the instances I enjoyed its use the most was on Hulu - they had a the video player pop-up, or sitting in its frame, then there was a button called 'dim the lights' - all it did was darken the background/surrounding area, but it made a strong statement - the user is dimming the lights 'cause they're about to watch a flick. It's the same thing, but given a real-world analogy that made perfect sense for/to the user. Plus it wasn't automatic - the user chose to dim, or raise the 'lights' as they preferred. I can't remember if it disabled the underlying controls - in Hulu's case I don't think so.

Brandon E. B. Ward
UI • UX • Ix Design
Flex • Flash Development
http://www.uxd.me
brandonebw...@gmail.com

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein