Jennifer,

I think you're 100% correct in suggesting an alternative to the
proposed design.

Speaking just as a user of the web, rather than a IxD practitioner, I
can tell you that would tick me off!

When I've had that sort of thing happen to me I will almost always
just say, "forget it," and not bother going any further. The issue
is not that someone wants my information - I get it, nothing is truly
free. The problem is the dishonesty.

If a link says, "Read article," or "Download file," I darn well
expect to get that result. Otherwise say, "Sign up to access
articles," or something of that nature.

I've found the key to good interactions - between people, people and
website, applications, businesses, etc, are expectations. What does
each participant expect, and are those expectations met?

If you lie by omission (i.e. I'm not telling you ahead of time there
is a form to fill out first) then you have guaranteed to not meet the
expectations of the other party in the interaction. It's simply bad
practice as a person, a business, or a designer to knowingly mislead.
I'm not saying it doesn't happen - it's far too common. And on the
scale of dishonesty in business these days this hardly qualifies as a
minor infraction. But that's not an excuse to do the wrong thing.

Tell your client to entice with honesty. Customers will appreciate
it, and happy customers are repeat customers.