Jennifer,

Can you please elaborate on the original purpose of that section of
the website? I'd like to better understand the desired result the
your stakeholder is willing to achieve. Is it really that the visitor
is forced to fill out the form in order to download the paper? Or, is
the paper given out to the visitor in order for them to fill the
form?

1) If the purpose is to fill out the form, then the described
solution is 100% valid. The paper is only needed to attract the
visitors and motivate them to fill the form. * This could be done in
order to conduct research about different segments of your visitors,
gather more data about browsing scenarios, initiate viral marketing
and tons of other reasons.

2) If the purpose is to download the paper, then you might want to
make the process as much simple and slight as possible. I think it is
Ok to say "Read study" for that sort of pages. It certainly is not
"sign up" nor "log in". So, what would you suggest? Saying "Fill
in this form to download our paper"? I agree that nowadays many
websites behave the same way, so it might have became sort of
standard for certain segments of visitors.

Anyways... as a compromise, you might want run an A/B test and simply
measure the bottom line results. Of course, that may be done after you
find out the purpose of those pages as I described above.

Good luck,

Julia Slavin
Israel Tour Online
http://www.israeltour-online.com