On Aug 26, 2009, at 12:55 PM, Nasir Barday wrote:

We all understand the problem here, right? I think instead of expounding on it to each other, we could help Ali figure out how to change his manager's
thinking.

I'd like to suggest that maybe we should think twice before deciding the manager needs his thinking changed.

Ali's manager may, in fact, be correct (sort of).

The distinction as to whether they produce consumer software or not is probably not important.

However, this statement is likely to be true:

A manager said last week: "We are a technology driven corporation
and that is why we are so successful".

User-centered design is not a panacea, nor is it helpful for every type of design problem.

As I've mentioned before, UCD is just one approach to design (http://www.ixda.org/discuss.php?post=35466 ).

There are many companies that have reached millions in sales without conducting user-focused research activities. Did they do it wrong? No.

So, instead, I'd give Ali different advice: Instead of trying to convince your manager he's wrong, assume he's right.

Then ask the following question: If we have a problem with our design, where would it manifest itself? Support calls? Training expense? Redo work in engineering? Lost sales?

Look for evidence that there are indeed usability issues that lead to frustration. Determine how that frustration eats into the company's bottom line. That's where you'll get the most leverage, because those are the places where the company isn't "so successful" and could have an opportunity to become more successful.

For extra credit,I recommend you read the following:

The Cost of Frustration: http://is.gd/2ARV8

Deriving Design Strategy through Market Maturity
Part 1: http://is.gd/2ASen
Part 2:  http://is.gd/2ASg1

Hope that helps,

Jared

Jared M. Spool
User Interface Engineering
510 Turnpike St., Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
e: jsp...@uie.com p: +1 978 327 5561
http://uie.com  Blog: http://uie.com/brainsparks  Twitter: @jmspool