If usability is the differentiating factor between the competitors,
then a heuristic assessment would be useful. However, in many cases
usability issues are table stakes that should be optimized apart from
what the competition is doing. For a competitive analysis I suggest
starting with the manner in which each competitor has chosen to solve
the most valuable and complex needs of your customers.

I don%u2019t know what industry you%u2019re in, so take the kitchen
sink as an example. If you look at 4 competitors in this space you
might look at Kohler, Franke, Moen, and Blanco. The links to their
sinks are below.

Kohler:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/category.jsp?category=5)
Franke: http://www.frankekitchensinks.com/
Moen: http://www.moen.com/ecatalog/gallery/kitchen-bar-sinks/_/N-687
Blanco: http://www.blancoamerica.com/index.html?p=KITCHEN_SINKS

If you were to conduct a heuristic evaluation of these competitors,
it would be very time-consuming; the results might not tell the story
of what really differentiates these sites; and the site owner may
still not know what needs to be done to reach parity or superiority
in key areas. It would be more helpful to focus on more strategic
design elements, such as:

- Approach to product selection
- Category-specific filters
- Use of rich media
- Personalization
- Supporting content
- Design tools
- Interactive demo in a home context
- Use of social media to promote awareness
- Consistency with offline brand collateral

To support your ratings of these strategic design elements, you could
provide screen captures (e.g. using software like SnagIt) showing how
customers would go from initial entry to goal attainment in the
different sites. You should use a rating system, like the one in the
IBM paper you referenced. But I%u2019ve found that stakeholders pay
more attention to the recommendations than the assessment itself, so
I always take the time to develop a perspective as to which areas
should be tackled first, comparing level of effort and expense to
anticipated business value.

Paul Bryan
Director, User Research and Design Strategy
Usography Corporation (www.usography.com)
Linked In: www.linkedin.com/in/uxexperts