Hi David,
the fetished customer base that tells their friends to buy the IPhone
is part of the marketing process. Its all part of the "weak
ties/Strong ties relationships that Apple takes advantage of.
http://www.si.umich.edu/~rfrost/courses/SI110/readings/In_Out_and_Beyond/Granovetter.pdf

I agree with you about not using the SAME UCD tools for every product
development. I never said that. I just stated that a proper UCD
approach would enable success. What proper? Ensuring enough
qualitative data. Unfortunately many designers STILL assume and
develop stuff based on pure assumptions.

With regards to MOTO:
I know what you mean. Atleast there is a UX / IA department in
Plantation for Subscribers... But where I am at there is none. I dont
work with mobile phones (consumer products)... (part1)