Do you feel confused right now? Because the page you are viewing has
no breadcrumbs. (I know, skewed sample).

Breadcrumbs should be used as a means to reduce ambiguity and/or
provide convenient access to higher levels within the organizational
structure. You can get a rough feeling for the awareness/utility of
your title breadcrumb by the volume of cllickthrough's on the
breadcrumb's active links.

Depending on the design system and technical execution, page title
breadcrumbs can cause some problems. I've been in situations where
extra-long title breadcrumbs have crowded out right side page
functions, like print or email page, which got pushed down a couple
of rows, which in turn pushed meaningful content below the fold. The
breadcrumb was detrimental in that case, because the questionable
redundancy reduced visibility of meaningful information.

I've also seen situations where the breadcrumb title and the page
title were slightly different, and that really confused users.

Redundancy is not necessarily a bad thing. One person's redundancy
is another person's confirmation. If the title breadcrumb is not
causing any problems there's no need to spend LOE fixing it.

Paul Bryan
Usography
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/in/uxexperts