Dave,

It seems that you're arguing that the tools and point of view of UCD aren't relevant because you are now interested in a different class of problems that is broader than designing products. Where I have trouble with your argument is when you say that the scale of design problems has "changed radically in the last 3 years." I think it's more likely that the scale of problems that you (and many other designers) are thinking about has changed in that time, and you're finding that UCD is less relevant as a way to approach solving those problems. That's fine, but it doesn't mean that UCD doesn't provide a useful way to approach other kinds of problems (the kinds of design problems which UCD grew up trying to address, and which are still around) or some tools to offer for these bigger challenges.

Many technology/product companies (and designers) have no interest (or business) in addressing the kinds of "larger scale design issues" that you are talking about. In these environments, there are usually very few people who look deeply at the problems/solution from the user's point of view, and if UCD brings more attention to the people who use the products, that's good. I don't believe that UCD alone creates great and successful products (or businesses), but it can be an important part of the mix.

Regards, Adam