Adrain -
To clarify on the "reliable" part, it's pretty much as Bryan
suggests: that the stakeholder wants to avoid the "aslkjfsdlfj"
gobbledy-gook input. Which, I can't even fathom how to determine
that on most text input fields.

Bryan - you make a really great point that I will bring up with our
stakeholders if the discussion continues. You're so right. When *I*
input false data, I don't actually type gobbledy-gook; I type in
something like "Bob Smith". Which is a completely valid name, just
not my own.

Regarding the phone field: I think we will just validate that no
alpha-characters are input, as we do want to include international
codes and prefix. It'll be basic validation is all, nothing
restrictive.

And with email, I agree that it's probably ok to check format; the
idea proposed to me was to not allow users to input anything from a
freebie/generic domain, e.g., @hotmail.com, so as to *only* receive
"real company addresses". I said that we shouldn't do that for a
couple reasons:
1- Some people may not be ready to share their company address,
regardless that their inquiry may be company related.
2 - The additional labeling and error messaging may produce worse
results in the end.

-Jennifer