What rules should one follow while designing e-commerce websites for
the mobile? I understand that usability on mobile is extremely
primitive and very difficult. In such a case what are the usability
rules and GUI guidelines one needs to adhere to?

As far as I know that using assisted technologies (Javascript, AJAX,
jQuery, Flash, Flex, etc) would make the experience even more
cumbersome and confusing only because the Mobile has not evolved. The
input methods are rigid to even think of what I want to do with
e-commerce websites for the mobile.

For example: Jakob Nielsen does say: "The phrase "mobile
usability" is pretty much an oxymoron."

Please pardon me if I am using quotes that might offend someone.