Hello Brian

Let me answer using examples. Consider links that you may see in your
gmail message (I notice you have one). They open a new tab or new
window unlike gmail interface's own navigation links. There is a
login session, and it so requires that the user is checking the
emails and would always like to get back to the email window after
navigating/ getting far to a different page. Hence it is context
based and how your users, a majority of them prefer.

If it is a link in a blog page, and you are using intriguing links,
consider what Jhon had said. Leave the choice to the user, and as
everyone will learn through experience interacting with the web,
eventually users can decide how and when they want to view a link,
either same page or new page.