On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:28 PM, suze ingram <suze.ing...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> When would you use faceted navigation in your designs?

In design patterns, this question is addressed.  For instance, in Quince,
below is what we have for the Faceted Navigation
pattern<http://quince.infragistics.com/#/Main/ViewPattern$pattern=Faceted+Navigation>.
 The Problem is the first thing to consider--if that's not the problem your
facing, that pattern probably doesn't apply.  The Context further qualifies
with other considerations that should help you decide if you should use it.
 Then you can also look at the Rationale and even Implementation and
Examples to further get a sense of whether it applies.  I'm not saying our
pattern is perfect--we have a suggestions mechanism in Quince to
collaboratively improve our patterns; I'm just saying that design patterns
do address this question if done well.

I totally disagree with the notion that it depends on # of facets, and in
fact, tag is a facet--you can use this with just the tag facet and it works
well.

Problem

People want to find something but usually have only a fuzzy idea of some
parameters in mind.
Solution

Help people gradually find what they want by providing them with various
facets that they can use to filter a result set.