Hi again all -

Thanks for all the great angles to consider. To address at least a
few comments:

1. The form I'm working on is a registration form used for sales
lead generation, and comprise - I'd estimate - about 90%   of the
forms on our site. Our Field Marketing team owns all such forms and
wishes all instances of them to be the same.

2. What users "get" in return is one of the following: (a) a gated
asset [e.g., white paper], (b) a call or email from a sales person,
or (c) a trial download. (The forms are all B2B.)

- In some cases (more added every few months), we set this
registration form to create a Single Sign-On (SSO) so that upon
return, the user can enter their email address and password so as not
to need to fill the form out again. (Though, depending on entry point
or the reason for the visit, users may be prompted with a marketing
form - optional fields [I think] - before they can continue to the
'asset'.

3. The request for email first was brought up by a regional team
which has email first on their SSO form. So, it was an idea to keep
things 'consistent'. Thus, I am trying to identify if it makes
sense.

- The form has about 14 fields (6 of which are for street address).

4. Usability. Yes. I so very much wish I had the luxury of these. I
do ask others around me (friends, family, coworkers) for input on a
lot of items; however, my team is just not yet understood in the
organization.

5. Finally, I agree with the idea of creating a sort of 'standard'
in the community; however, I wonder if this is a realistic goal? This
is not meant to be a cynical perspective as I believe that
foundational efforts and baselines are imperative in setting the
course for long term success. There's nothing worse than spinning
one's wheels over the small things.

What this makes me think of is something I'm continually being asked
by my manager and stakeholders, "Do you have any documented best
practices on X?" And, though I find tons of awesome articles by all
you wonderful people here, what is really desired is a 'checklist'
of best practices.

So, to wrap up a long response... :)... Have I missed a great 'best
practices' library; and, if there isn't really one... is it
realistic to expect that one may be able to be developed and
maintained within the UX community?

Ok. I think I about used up my caffeine for the morning.

Thanks and best to all,
Jennifer