On Nov 12, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Andy Howard wrote:

> Has anyone used a fluid 960 grid framework for rapid prototyping?e.g.
> http://www.designinfluences.com/fluid960gs/
>
> I'm particularly interested in how usable it is for a UX person like me with
> *some* (i.e. junior level) CSS/XHTML knowledge. I've had a quick play with
> it, but wondering how practical and efficient it is
> for 'mock ups' and client work.

Frameworks like 960.gs (the original), Fluid960gs, Blueprint, and YUI! are a
great way to prototype. It's almost like getting a prefab house kit—most of the
pieces are there, but some assembly is required.

I'm not sure I would use 960 or Blueprint for production. You could, but it
really depends on what you're building. If you're building brochureware sites,
then it should be fine. If you're building complex sites (e.g. several
templates, thousands of pages) or webapps, then you're probably better off
either using YUI! or building your own.

These frameworks are a great way to sharpen your skills, make your own bridge
between design and frontend development, and prototyping.

You might notice I didn't include YUI! in the "I'm not sure I would use for
production" statement. Well, that's because YUI! is used across the Yahoo!
platform. It's tested, flexible, has tons of documentation, and is really
extensible. YUI! is obviously one you could use for production.

Or of course, learn from one of these and then roll your own (that's what we
did).

Cheers!

Todd Zaki Warfel
Principal Designer
Messagefirst | Designing Information. Beautifully.
Contact Info
Voice:  (215) 825-7423
Email:  t...@zakiwarfel.com
Blog:   zakiwarfel.com