Paul,

Have a look at the series of articles I wrote a while back on IA / UX for portals that's available in Boxes and Arrows.

This is the first:

http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/the-challenge-of

Beyond these, and a few fairly narrow dashboard pieces, it's a subject that the UX community has not engaged with in any collective sense. It's essentially in the blind spot of the UX discipline's field of view.

Given that so many digital experiences are built with the portal model, from the technology, business, or user experience perspectives (or all three), I've found this quite strange.

Regards,
Joe Lamantia