All you need is a text area that is big enough to take the data.

I would use Ajax to upload the data to the server, or use Javascript on the
client to validate the data which should be faster.

Your  business partners pattern is nice if you have the excel sheet open, as
the user only has to copy and paste between the two. On the other pattern if
you have to do a file upload the user has to :-

   1. Save the excel file
   2. Go to the browser.
   3. Click upload.
   4. Remember where they have saved the file
   5. Browse to where the file is
   6. Click upload.
   7. Server validates.

User could easily make mistakes with the above in forgetting to save the
excel file. Forgetting where it is.
On the other hand your  business partners pattern is :-

   1. Go to the browser.
   2. user copies data
   3. pastes it
   4. Server validates.

Nice and simple. This could be enhanced by the browser  parcing the data
using javascript on the client. And placing the data into a columns of a
table on the page. So to give the user instant feedback.  All is the quite
easy in Javascript now.

All the best

James
http://blog.feralabs.com  <http://blog.feralabs.com>