Analysis of history (such as Norman's essay) tells what approach has been used most frequently, but it fails to answer the implied question of 'what is the best approach?' Everett Rogers (diffusion of innovation) provides significantly more insight into what makes products successful. In an earlier writing Don got it right... it is form, function and fit. Technology... a business initiative... user needs, they all led to potentially successful products. MBA's and Engineers have been running businesses for the last 100 years. It is no real surprise that their domains have lead these product efforts.

As for disruption... I might suggest looking at Christensen's definition. It has more to do with taking advantage of established companies tendencies towards arrogance and complacency (my interpretation). Rooted in efforts to "maximize" profit in the short term... that arrogance typically leads to overestimating the profit a company can extract from the next transaction. Smart companies share the profit in each transaction with the purchaser in an attempt to build a long term relationship. The least costly customer to attain is the one you already have... and sustainable longer term revenue is the key to building a company. Focusing on the next reporting period typically leads to something along the lines of a mugging... which of course is not sustainable. Most disruptive efforts (as displayed by Christensen et al) undercut established company's pricing by stripping away features that are not desired by the consumer.

Mark