One of the things that we did on a recent project is to provide a message
that their session is about to expire and a button for them to click to
extend the session.  Should they go beyond the allotted time for the
session, we show a message that asks for their password and we return them
to where they were in the application.  None of this is done with cookies.

Cheers,

Sean