One approach to editing profile details (title, status, address,
mission statement, etc.), is to edit them in place, AJAX-style. An
alternative approach is to use a specialized page, tab or pop-up,
with some variation of a "submit" action. I am designing an
interface for a project in a corporate environment, and I find that
as the data gets more complex, it's not easy to choose the correct
approach, or to mix and match. When i look for examples from teams I
follow (Facebook and LinkedIn come to mind) it seems to me they have
similar headaches.

I am looking for an example of a very slick "web 2.0" solution in a
mainstream platform with moderately complex data (managing lists of
items, not just name-and-address-and-photo).

I am also wondering what can these days be assumed about the
familiarity of the general public with Facebook and LinkedIn (for
example). Would you require editing on-place in the way Facebook
does, if you were designing for different age groups?

Your thoughts?