Thanks for that link Gilles.  This opens up another issue though.  The
article states that files are stored with their applications.  Delete
an app and its files are deleted as well.  Also, this seems to limit
the ability to open a file from any other app than the one with which
it's associated.

Omnigraffle announced that they're porting their apps to the iPad.
That's awesome news.  But in their desktop versions, I can open an
Omnioutliner file in Omnigraffle.  With this new model, if files are
associated with applications, if I created a file in Omnioutliner on
my iPad, how would Omnigraffle access it?  Or if you create a simple
text document with one app, but then install another text editing
app, would you be able to access the document from the first app?
Seems like you'd have to push it to a shared folder on the network
first.

These are just unknowns to me. There may very well be a simple answer
out there.  But app to app sharing and iPad to iPad sharing are
concepts that I think people will look for.  I can only hope Apple
considers this as well.