Hi,

I've been using UML and prototyping tools together for years. These
two methods go together in a very nice way. Especially, if you focus
on main types of the diagrams - activity diagram, and use cases.

Why?
First of all, UML requires being strict. It is easier to cover whole
logical flow of the application with UML than with story telling :)).

Using activity diagrams you can indicate all transitions, user's
decision points etc, system messages etc. It improves DEVELOPERS
work, if you indicate EXACT prototypes by linking a them in the
activity/action workflow.

Secondly, it is usable for you as well - to have a complete view of
the business logic SEPARATED from the UI layer.

At some point, I agree with skeptical view. UML based methodology is
rather supportive tool for UX designers. It helps, but does not
replace tool set you are using right now. I don't see it
significantly usable in UX documentation, patterns decs etc.

Finally, UML driven development process is boosting mostly business /
system analyze phase...