I have a client in the mental health area. They've produced a series
of manuals and workbooks as print pieces for doctors to hand to their
clients.

The wants to translate these documents into something clients would
use online.

Challenges:
- the patient/client isn't required to complete the online workbook
in a linear fashion but would need to save their data in order to
return and complete the workbook
- the content is written for print but may not be very helpful
online.
- the forms that capture client input take various forms from check
boxes to text boxes, checklists, closed to open answer questions.

Are they any best practices or references I should consider when
planning and designing the UX?

Thanks
Charles Sue-Wah-Sing
www.suewahsing.com