I would just sit down with the client and tell them that you normally
create three initial comps, and then work to refine one of them. But
be careful b/c the client may start picking and choosing pieces of
each design they like and you end up with a mess.

I would be tempted to ask them a lot of questions about what they are
looking for in a design and then just present the one that you think
fits. You can always refine if they don't like it.

Stephen is right, I would be careful about the timeframe you commit
to with a custom CMS. They can get tricky when you start implementing
styles - especially with navigation design and some of the features
that are tough to skin the way you want. Just make sure you manage
the client expectations in what they are going to get.

-Brendon