Will & Mark, you bring this up as an education issue, but there has
been a huge shift in the labor cycle that was done w/o much asking of
the education cycle. Namely, sometime around the early to mid nineties
we went from a career lifecycle where business took on a greater share
of the burden of education than they do today. They want education to
create fully-functioning mid-level folks, but calling mid-level folks
entry level, but they did nothing to engage education to make that
shift happen there.

1. there are less internships possibilities than ever. AND if we are
going to be blunt about this, the UX community has been really
half-assed about creating internships and maintaining them in their
culture. This can't just be a the giant corps as they can't sustain
this and they only give a small slice of the total experiences that we
all need.

2. It used to be that "hiring straight out of college" was a
managed process at especially larger corps. People out of college
were mentored, nurtured and trained with high level programs guiding
them through the real world. Today it is out of the oven of education
and into the fire of industry and none-betwix-between.

So Mark, you are pointing a finger at education w/o giving education
the benefit of the doubt and looking at the longer historical
picture.

Institutions around the world are desperate for corporate contact,
but even sponsored projects is not enough to give students what they
need. There are real reasons to protect students from "reality"
within the educational setting even at the senior and graduate level.
Educational institutions don't only need to be forgiving of failure,
but need to encourage it and only concept level projects (read as not
entirely real) offer anything close to that type of leeway.

The reality is that it is industry that has let down education and
not the other way around. All of the internships and coops during
undergraduate education aren't going to replace the experience of
having a real job.

To be more balanced, I think that the schools that have corp
connections (sponsored projects, internships, coops, etc.) are doing
all they can at this point. If even these students are not "cutting
it" when they come to you then I think the other side of the campus
needs to be looked at and evaluated and not 1 corp at a time, but as
a practice.

-- dave