Hi all,

I understand the point of Kishor and Ravi very well. I see a danger for OSGeo that it sticks inside its own circles as the exisiting member vote on the additional members. The result is that people usually vote the people they know well, so OSGeo might become something like a closed club. This is only natural and I do not see an easy solution to this (and I do not say it is like that - only that there is the danger). Helena's suggestion might help in this regard.

BTW - was there ever the idea of limiting the amount of charter members that belong to one organisation? This might help in limiting the influence of some "tribes". ;-)

Best regards,

Markus

RAVI KUMAR schrieb:
Hi All,
I agree with Kishor. Seeing the geographical
distribution of votes will be relevant.
Ravi Kumar
--- P Kishor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Gary,

I was not the person who originally requested this,
but I did show
interest in this, so I am presenting my reason here,
for what they are
worth.

Actually, I am not even so much interested in seeing
who got how many
votes as I am in seeing the geographical
distribution of whence the
votes came from and where they went... if that could
be shown on the
map... or, if I can imagine it on a map.

For now, it is heavily weighted in North America and
Europe, and
rightly so... most of this technology was invented
in these regions,
most of the developers are from these regions, most
of the
implementations are in these regions, most of the
momentum in these
regions. In the long run, I would like to see OSGeo
spread its wings
on all corners of the globe. I am not trying to
hasten this process
artificially, but I am interested in seeing the
process itself, and
see it happen sooner rather than later... imagine...
if I could see a
time-lapse movie of open geospatial spreading around
the world!

For now, I am more interested in seeing where we
need to focus more,
encourage more activity, perhaps even do some
special hand-holding, if
required.

That is all of my reasoning. It is not crucial or
urgent, and there is
no other agenda -- if collectively it is decided
that not showing the
tally is better, I am cool with that as well...