Hi all: Perhaps this has been discussed before, but... Given the apparent
desire to maintain geographic diversity amongst OSgeo leadership perhaps in the
future we might consider regionally based board seats. That is, you have
representatives from:

North America, Europe, Africa, Asia, South/Central America and Oceania

If the bulk of activity is in North America and Europe then given them two
seats. Then you have nominations within a region and so on... Every other year
different geographic regions would be up for re-election. As a voting member
you'd vote for candidates in each region.

If organizational affiliation diversity is more important (government vs.
higher education vs. private sector vs. hobbyist) than geographic diversity
then the same idea would apply. We do that here in Minnesota for our state
GIS/LIS consortium board. That board also has an at-large seat open to anyone.

Just a thought...

Steve