To: "OSGeo Discussions" <discuss@lists.osgeo.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:24 AM
Subject: Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Re: idea for an OSGeo project -- a new,open data format

On 14-Nov-07, at 7:20 AM, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

- optional coloring and styles, break values, rendering and
 scale limits, persistent joins or relates, color ramp, ...

are things which are provided by SLD and the like, which means that  you
really want SDF + WMC -- I don't think that this is SDF's job, and I
don't think that it should be the job of any geodata format.

mapinfo files come with embedded styling so there is at least one format out there that combines the two. KML arguably does the same thing.

I think it would be worth exploring the merits of providing the ability to embed styling information. I'm not sure if it is useful to place styling 'hints' in metadata, assuming that the format supports arbitrary metadata.

Cheers

Paul

|Paul Spencer                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |