On Feb 22, 2008, at 2:26 AM, Gilberto Camara wrote:
In corporate applications where vectors and raster live together, and data processing and editing operations are used, handling different types of data together in a database is convenient. Control is more important than performance.

Agreed, vector->raster, raster->vector operations and associated raster analysis operations in the database (GRASS-in-the-database, for lack of a better term) is something I find compelling, for the same reason that non-storage-oriented functions like ST_Buffer() and ST_Union() in the database are compelling. Database as fully functional analysis platform. All your base are belong to SQL.

Unfortunately, most people talking raster-in-database are focussed on stuffing their imagery in, and can articulate no real reason for doing so. It'll be faster? (no) It'll be safer? (no) It'll be easier to manage? (no)