Hi all,
I have recently seen several discussions where the geographical representation sentiment, perceptions toward OSGeo being US or North America centric and so on and so forth get in (the way). So I could pick one randomly to react on. I'll pick this because of its title :-)

We should not be blind for perspectives and try to deal with them with care. However, there is _no one_ I know that is trying to purposely make the foundation centric to any specific country. As Cameron rightly mentioned in a previous email, there are countries that are native English speaking and that makes communication easy at the global community level for them. This same issue can be a problem for others though and can help the bias towards the largest English speaking communities on this planet even if it should not. I know that our members from North America actually do care a lot about what's going on across their borders. It is frustrating to see they are put into a defensive position too many times. They should not be and we, as a community have to avoid that from happening.

Again referring to Cameron's excellent email, we are a Meritocracy and not a political body that has to deal with country politics, disputed areas and global trade. This is actually the point that is most important to me when it comes to representation. I don't want to see geographical representation come into the discussion at all! :-) Every charter member of the community can make his/her choice based on personal considerations. I do consider that myself when voting, and I do consider giving a (higher) vote when it comes to balanced representation, be it geographical, gender or other factors. But in the end what counts for me is how much merit that person has and what we see that person brings to the community.

So my call upon the community: forget about geographical representation as a driving factor or political means in discussions or voting! My email gets to you if I would send it from Khartoum in the same way it does now that I'm sending it from Rome. Do you care? Or instead do you care about the content? Focus on the last when voting; what is the added value of that person as a board member to you.

Ciao,
Jeroen