Hello,

today I setup a live demo of the mediawiki extension I wrote on a internet accessible mediawiki installation on Arnulfs server. -> http://arnulf.us/UserLocalization_Example

In the moment its not really showing what its made for because there are only two users of this wiki instance in the moment.

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) schrieb:
How is it going on your project, what is the status? Your efforts sound really interesting and could be broadly useful - so I hope you can finish it.

It is not the question If I finish it, it is only the question when. ;-) But I like to work on it and I'm willing to make it better and better.
I'm not convinced that geocoding IPs is going to be as useful for OSGeo though - I think that many members will never use the wiki. Recently I checked revisions and more than half the revisions were done by only 10 people :) To get the categories set for each user did you have to do them manually, or did most people do it themselves after the reminder?

Yes, and also the privacy thing is maybe an issue. I think not everybody wants to have a "track" of his editing locations public accessible. Its just a nice thing for a geo mashup with the geocoding service I thought... and there was something about it on the discussion page ( http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category_talk:OSGeo_Member ).

I will try to make some more functions and improve it. I would be very happy for any suggestions for what could be better done or what would be a good additional function.

Best regards,
Christian