Thanks to all!

The problem is in the length, but not in the column name but in the dimension of the "numbers" given in the column header. I really don't know exactly what they means... but it works!!
For example:
heigth,N,33,31
is not a valid length for an attribute column to be saved with OpenOffice.
If I change it into:
heigth,N,8,2
and in general if the sum of the last two numbers is less than 16 (bytes...?) it works fine and I can save the edited dbf.

Thanks again for the attention,

Ciao

Silvia

M J wrote:
I don't know if this would matter but file name length could be something to look at.

Some dbf files that open in Excel won't open in Access unless renamed to 8 (I think) characters or less.

Maybe if you rename it shorter and try it might work.

Definitely be careful with a live shapefile dbf though - you should probably rename the shapefile to a shorter name and then try to open the dbf again.

Nif