What I'd like to see within the next 5 years would be more analytical tools. Most of the projects in OSGeo are very much enablers: they put the facilities in place for people to program their own tools. However, as I have noticed over the years, people are reluctant to move to open source implementations of geospatial software because they are, in effect, losing capabilities. Yes, there is still the potential for the same capabilities to be put back in, but the fact remains they just aren't there. For example, I have never seen any MCDA, PCA, HotSpot Analysis, CART or neural network tools in open source packages. If we were to produce a comprehensive suite of tools offering the standard analytical tools as well as some more advanced ones, then these proprietary offerings wouldn't look as appealing. Moreover, if we had a consolidated toolset which could be used on a multitude of project we would not have to re-invent the wheel for each separate project. Currently, proprietary software generally offers advanced analytic capability out-of-the-box and open source software does not. I see this as a bit of a stumbling block.

Another thing, and I was chatting about this in the lab today, is that for particular needs, open source implementations of geospatial software generally don't have much to offer. The generic capabilities are there, or at least enabled for others to program, but special-needs cases there is not much. The example used today in the lab was CARIS HIPS or SIPS. What, if anything, exists in the open source community that could come close to the processing capabilities of this?

Still another area with a lack of development is 3D and 4D modeling / rendering / analysis, something like ESRI ArcGlobe with the 3D Analyst package or Myriax Eonfusion. There has been very little work in these domains which are of particular interest to me. Perhaps the amount of people working in these areas is much smaller than the amount of people using something more like general analytic capabilities, but it is an area that "needs work" nonetheless.

The point, and I'd like to make this clear, is not the I'm bemoaning the lack of features and projects in the open source community. I think OSGeo and the open source community have done a tremendous job and should feel, rightfully, proud at what they have accomplished. However, when asked what I'd like to see on the agenda for OSGeo, this is it. I'd like to see a hard push towards analytics to make the various projects we have to offer more directly useful to the average GIS user. In the end, it's really about market penetration. The more useful open source software is, the better a "deal" it looks like to outsiders and the more people we'll attract.

Please note: I don't presume to speak for anyone but myself, IANAL, just my two cents, your mileage may vary, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseam.

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) wrote:
Hi everyone, a recent chat I was asked about our vision for OSGeo over
the next 3 and 5 years.  I'd really like to hear thoughts on the matter
and pool a few of the ideas together for further discussions amongst
committees, projects, chapters and the board.
It's also a good way for the board nominees in the upcoming election to
get a sense of where other members are thinking these days.

Best wishes,
Tyler