Papers: Daniel Marceau [1] at University of Calgary has active research on integration of Agents and CAs with GIS. Though, I haven't heard that any code has ever been made public of that research.

Implementations: As far as I know TerraLib has a CA implementation/methods [2]

and well.. I tried once to create an agent systems (based on Repast in JUMP) for map generalization purposes... but then... I needed to continue work on other things (thesis).

[1] http://www.ucalgary.ca/gcl/node/37
[2] http://www.terralib.org/

stefan